Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sustainable Hats at the Harvest Festival-La Plaza Cultural

It was a gorgeous day on Saturday October 6th, 2012 when many of the community gardens of the east village had events to celebrate fall with the Harvest Festival 2012.  Our community gardens are places for people to meet, for children to play, for food to grow. They are places to get some oxygen and watch the bees, birds and plant life to flourish.

I wanted to use my skills to celebrate the garden and what it does for me. I decided to make sustainable hats.

I got together a few of my milliner friends, Wanda Chambers, Jazmin Zorlu, and Miki Katagiri to help me construct hats from recycled paper that could be decorated with leaves, twigs and flowers. We also put a packet of seeds in each one so the hat could be worn and then planted. The money  that we raised is for our cold frame fund. Cold frames help gardeners keep growing food through the winter and start their seeds in the spring when it is still cold. Not only do we enjoy the looks of the garden, the birds and the oxygen, but we eat from it too. It was a great day, hats we worn and the garden was happy.





No comments:

Post a Comment